For the pear crumble
- 250gr plain flour
- 250 gr butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 5 gr ground cinnamon
- 150 gr demerara sugar
- 10 ripe pears, peeled and diced
- 120 ml pear cider
For the cinnamon custard
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 ml milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks •
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Place the flour and 250 gr flour, cinnamon and 150 gr butter in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar.
- Tip the mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, or until toasted and golden-brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in your Whatever pan, then add the pears. Fry for 1–2 minutes, then add the pear cider. Cover and bring to the boil until the pears are soft.
- Spoon the pear mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the crumble. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the cinnamon custard, heat the milk and cream in a saucepan, add the caster sugar and cinnamon sticks until just boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5–6 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and add to the cream mixture, whisking continuously. Boil for 2 minutes while stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Discard the cinnamon sticks.
- Serve the pear crumble in bowls with the cinnamon custard.