- 250 gr soft butter, plus extra for the dish
- 380 gr caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 gr self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2½ tbsp cornflour For the drizzle
- 50 gr icing sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and butter your oven proof pan.
- Put the butter and 250 gr caster sugar in a bowl and beat for 5 mins until fluffy. Whisk in the eggs, then sieve over the flour and baking powder and fold in until you have a batter. Stir in the lemon zest, reserving a little for decoration.
- Mix the juice of 3 lemons with the cornflour and mix the remaining 130 gr caster sugar with 300 ml boiling water in a jug, whisk until smooth. Pour this over the sponge. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Now make the lemon drizzle. Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to create a loose consistency. Drizzle over the sponge while it’s still warm and decorate with the reserved lemon zest.
- Serve with cream or custard.