- 2 aubergine/eggplants
- 3 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp mushroom powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp peppercorn medley
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Olive oil
- 750ml/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup fresh beet juice
- 60ml/ ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
Steakhouse Red Wine-Glazed Mushrooms:
- 115g/4oz champignon mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Dry red wine
- Prepare Eggplant “Steaks” - char each eggplant over an open-flame on your gas stove. Using tongs, rotate eggplant until charred on all sides and just tender. Place in a baking tray, cover with cling film and set aside until cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare steak rub - Mix together the granulated garlic, mushroom powder, smoked paprika, pepper flakes, peppercorn medley, and cumin seeds.
- Once eggplants are cool, peel away skins and discard. Place them in your Whatever Pan and season liberally on all sides with steak rub. Drizzle with olive oil and roast until soft.
- Meanwhile, add the red wine to your Whatever Pan with the beet juice, rosemary, soy sauce, vegan butter and bring to a boil.
- Add your seasoned eggplants and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning once. Continue to roast until they begin to resemble steak.
- Prepare Steakhouse Mushrooms - heat a skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil into pan and sear mushrooms (cut-side down) until golden, season with salt and add the vegan butter, garlic and red wine.
- Once cooked you can serve them on top of some mashed potatoes, add your ‘vegan steak’ and enjoy!